The overwhelming popularity of “selfies” — along with the various social media platforms that promote them — means that more than ever, a big, bright, healthy smile can translate into a self-confidence boost that positively impacts your career, your personal life, and everything in between.
There are many reasons why teeth become stained or discolored, including tobacco use, and drinking dark liquids such as red wine, coffee, tea and cola. Even the natural aging process and prescription medication use can also cause yellowing and graying.
There are literally hundreds of whitening treatments available in the marketplace, including take-home strips, whitening toothpastes and take-home whitening gels. Many take-home gels are not as effective due to lower concentration of whitening gel and may not elicit the desired results.
Zoom!® has many advantages over these other treatments, including:
- All teeth treated simultaneously.
- Faster treatment times.
- Longer lasting results.
- Reduced sensitivity.
- Removal of stains on crowns, veneers and other restorations.
- Safe procedure and treatment.
- Treatments are performed by an experienced professional.
It is important to seek advice from the dentist prior to beginning a whitening regime. Women who are pregnant or lactating should not seek whitening treatment.
How does Zoom!® whiten the teeth?
Zoom!® is a whitening process that lightens the dentin and enamel of the teeth. Zoom!® contains a hydrogen peroxide component (25%), which is the active ingredient in the gel. When hydrogen peroxide is applied to the teeth, the peroxide component breaks down into tiny oxygen bubbles thereby eliminating yellowing and staining.
A chairside (LED) light is used to activate the gel and expedite the whitening process. The internal structure of the teeth remains completely healthy and intact during and after the treatment.
As with any whitening system, the post-treatment results can vary according to the degree of staining and the condition of the teeth. A consultation with the dentist prior to treatment will provide information as to what kind of results Zoom!® can provide in specific instances. Zoom!® is only applied to healthy teeth and gums. If tooth decay or gum disease is an issue, these need to be controlled before the whitening treatment is performed.
How is the Zoom!® treatment performed?
Prior to treatment, we will examine your teeth to make sure they are free of decay and gum disease. In most cases, it is ideal to have a professional dental cleaning within a few weeks of your whitening procedure.
Here is a brief overview of the Zoom!® procedure:
- Cheek retractors will be placed to expose the entire surface of the teeth and keep the lips away.
- The gums will be painted or covered to reduce sensitivity.
- The whitening gel will be applied to the teeth.
- The light will then be positioned and used to activate the gel. This specialized Zoom!® light can be positioned to work on all the teeth simultaneously.
- After 15 minutes, gel will be removed from the teeth.
- The whitening gel will be reapplied for another 15 minutes and repeated for 3-4 cycles.
- The gel will be removed for the final time.
- A desensitizing agent used to re-hydrate the teeth will be used to minimize sensitivity.